Thursday, July 4, 2013

Today's Take - 7/4/13

Happy, happy Independence day to you, 'Murica!

I spent much of my day of freedom bushwhacking Scotch Broom and blackberries in the chicken yard, followed by a few hours spent curled up in a ball of pain because I accidentally ingested the teensiest bit of coconut oil in the form of a dollop of canned whipped cream on top of my fancy coffee beverage. Coconut and palm oils are the darling of the Paleo/GF diet movement, and therefore are now showing up in EVERYTHING. Booo.....! :\

Anyhoo, before agony struck, we managed to haul in -

Russian Red Kale - 15 ounces
Eggs - 7
Goat Milk - 1/2 gallon
Basil - 2 ounces
Oregano - 3 ounces
Rose petals, Hollyhocks, snapdragons, borage & lavender (for soap, tea & potpourri)- Handful of each


 The greens bed that giveth and giveth :)



First Minnesota Midget Melon blossoms! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great harvest! How do you keep your harvested rose petals and herbs for soaps and things? We have borage growing here and there (volunteers) and I love the flowers and understand they're very useful, but I usually just leave them for the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dehydrate the flowers that I'm going to use for soapmaking, etc., in a plain old food dehydrator. This is the first time that I've done borage, so it remains to be seen whether it reconstitutes beautifully or remains its dark, shriveled little self once I add it to soap or tea or what have you.

    I've heard that the flowers taste like cucumber, and folks use them in salads and as a garnish. Mostly, I bought them to keep Billy's honeybees happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete