Thursday, March 31, 2011

Murder by Agua - A Poultry Tragedy

This morning while tending to the baby chicks, I noted the absence of Peanut, our little Silver-Spangled Hamburg hen. Our only Silver Spangled Hamburg hen. Well I found her, and as I'm sure you've guessed, the outcome was not good.

Poor sweet little Peanut was under the waterer. Under it. A one-gallon waterer, which, when full, weighs in the neighborhood of 8 pounds, versus an 8-ounce chicken. :(

There is no point in assigning blame for the tragedy. We all make mistakes and even though this was a serious one, what can be gained by from knowing the dirty details of Peanut's demise?

So I'm going to tell the kiddos that Peanut passed away, and leave it at that for now. I picked up a few Barred Rock chicks to replace Peanut & Mrs. Floopy, which will hopefully give the girls something to focus on besides the all too short life of dear Peanut.

At the end of this year, when I tally up our gains and losses, monetary and animal, well... it's going to be a rough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment